“Ghana assessed its capacities to respond to any suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 and identified gaps to plan for preparedness, response and control activities,” the World Health Organisation (WHO) has reported.
Ghana is classified among Priority 1 countries in WHO Africa region for at being at risk based on flights and passenger volumes, according the WHO report.
However, there is inadequate funding to implement the various preparedness activities planned by the Government of Ghana.
Already, the Government of Ghana has committed 2.5 million Ghana Cedis to support preparedness, but an additional funding is required to meet the funding gap for prioritised activities, the WHO report said.
So far, 15 suspected cases have been tested for coronavirus in Ghana with all 15 testing negative.
Nigeria on Friday announced the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in sub-Saharan Africa.
“The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on the 25th of February 2020,” Health Minister Osagie Ehanire said in a statement on Twitter.