The Electoral Commission(EC) is said to compile a new voters’ register ahead of the 2020 presidential and parliamentary elections.
This was disclosed in a press statement after an Inter-Party Advisory Committee (IPAC) meeting Wednesday.
The call for a new voters’ roll was made ahead of the 2016 elections by then pro-opposition pressure group, Let My Vote Count Alliance which saw relentless and bloody demonstrations by members of the group.
But the EC failed to heed the call citing financial constraints at the time.
Below are details of a six-point press statement:
- The District Level Elections and the Referendum will be conducted on the same day during the last quarter of 2019.
- The Commission will undertake a Limited Registration of new voters’ prior to the District Level Elections and Referendum in May 2019. The registration will take place in all the District Offices of the Electoral Commission across the country.
- The Commission will compile a new voters’ register ahead of the 2010 Presidential and Parliamentary Elections.
- The Commission will publish the time table and road map for the District Level Election, Referendum and other activities of the year in the 1st week of April 2019.
- The inspection of offices of political parties is underway. A comprehensive report on the findings of inspection would be made available to stakeholders by the end of May 2019.
- The Commission has published the report on the submitted Audited Accounts of the Political Parties. This appeared in the Daily Graphic on Thursday, 21st March, 2019. The Commission is preparing a draft Constitutional Instrument to regulate and streamline the format of Financial Returns and Audited Accounts of the Political Parties.