Government will this week be serving notice to the members of the diplomatic community about what it describes as palpable falsehood peddled by Former President John Dramani Mahama when he met them at Peduase in the Eastern Region last week on the Ayawaso West Wuogon By-election violence.

Information Minister ,Kojo Oppong Nkrumah made this known in a news conference held Sunday in Koforidua in the Eastern Region.

The Information Minister said the actions of Mr. Mahama was unfortunate and prejudicial to the work of the Emile Short’s fact finding Commission therefore, government expects the former President to either present his evidence to the Commission or apologize to Ghanaians.

”This is unfortunate act by a former President of the republic as it is prejudicial to the work of the committee. As one who has occupied the highest office of the land, it is unthinkable that he will make pronouncements that seek to prejudice or undermine the work of an fact finding committee at a meeting where he has invited diplomats so to do. We do not believe that in the various countries where diplomats come from, this prejudicial undermining conduct will be countenanced” he said

He added “If the former President has any information to the contrary government believes that the best thing to do is to bring these to the attention of the commission or the fact finding enquiry that is ongoing ,failing which we will kindly encourage him to do the honourable act of withdrawing and apologize to the people of Ghana”

Oppong Nkrumah explained that, in two of the three videos and accompanied commentary that the former President showed to the diplomatic community were designed at tarnishing Ghana’s hard worn reputation in the eyes of the international community.

He explained that the first video which purports to show some security persons singing and dancing at a funeral, which security persons the former President told them were NPP vigilante men in song and dance at the funeral of the former MP for the area Hon Kyeremanten Agyarko and which security persons were responsible for the Ayawaso West Wougon incident at the residence of the NDCs Parliamentary candidate is False.

“Indeed that video is a video of Policemen who had attended a funeral of a fellow police officer and had nothing to do with the late Agyarko’s funeral” he added.

Mr. Nkrumah said there was also no evidence that the Policemen who attended the funeral of their Colleague were even involved in either the police operation at Ayawaso West Wougon or the SWAT operation at the residence of the NDC candidate.

“Mr. Mahama’s presentation to the diplomats of that video as evidence of a said NPP vigilante group involved in the Ayawaso West Wougon incidents is false and should be treated as such. The family of Mr. Agyarko has even had cause to deny this and the government will bring this formally to the attention of the diplomats. Ghana is regaining its place in the community of nations and her government will allow no person for whatever parochial interest to undercut our collective gains” the Minister said.

Spread the news