The Maternity Block of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital(KBTH) is not on fire as being alleged on social media, the management of the Hospital has refuted claims.
There were reports late Tuesday night of a supposed fire outbreak at the hospital’s maternity ward with videos showing evacuation of newly born babies.
But the Public Relations Officer of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Mustapha Salifu in a reaction to the report said “What happened was an air-conditioner switch in one of the restroom of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9pm yesterday.”
He added: “The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service(GNFS).”
Meanwhile, he said as a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.
“We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff.
“We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism.”