The Police has said their official records show 24 individuals have so far died on the Adenta-Madina Highway between January and October this year, while 164 others have been injured through accidents.
“We have recorded about 24 deaths and 164 injuries between January and 31st October on that stretch,” DSP Alex Obeng, Head of Research of the MTTD told Francis Abban on the Morning Starr Friday.
He however said the number excludes the young girl who died on Thursday and those reported to have died last week.
This figure is contrary to the number that has been put out in the media.
There have been reports that nearly 200 persons have lost their lives on that busy road with the student of West Africa Secondary School who was knocked down and killed being the 195th person to die.
Angry residents have been calling on authorities to complete the six abandoned bridges on the highway to avoid needless deaths by way of people being crashed by speeding vehicles.
The aggrieved residents on Thursday staged a protest burning tyres and blocking the highway.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Roads and Highways has announced that work on the six (6) uncompleted pedestrian bridges in Adenta will commence within a week.
Temporarily, the Ministry in collaboration with the Interior Ministry has requested the Ghana Police Service to deploy officers of the Motor Traffic Unit to prevent further deaths.
A statement from the Inter Ministerial Committee on road safety issued on Thursday night, said government regretted the deaths of residents who had been killed by speeding vehicles.
The statement further said work had already been ongoing in recent weeks to address the situation and that procurement processes were now near completion.